1st VIII V Mowden Hall  

 Wednesday 27th November
Mowden 2, St. Mary’s 5
Exactly a year ago Mowden arrived in Melrose as the heavens opened, resulting in 16 very wet and soggy girls (and staff!). Today it was our turn to brave the fog, drizzle then torrents as we crossed the border. Despite the forecast it didn’t let up all afternoon and once again we all got drenched. However, the hockey on display was quite dazzling and we enjoyed a fabulous afternoon of competition.
It would be fair to say that we dominated the first half. Our passing, movement and control was lovely to watch and had it not been from some heroic keeping from the Mowden goalie, we would have established a comfortable lead. As it was Freyja and her team couldn’t find a way past, so when Mowden managed to score just before half time, we were left somewhat aghast! My half time chat couldn’t be anything but upbeat and positive. I was delighted with the hockey they’d played. Individually they had worked tirelessly and collectively their support for one another and structure was brilliant. I suggested they just keep up the pressure and perhaps grow a little hungrier in front of goal.
The second half was much the same although our pressure soon paid dividends as Tiggy opened our account within the opening minute. I think it was Freyja who gave us the lead a few minutes later, although the Mowden girls immediately rallied and got another of their own. Kiki and Skye at the back were busier for spells in the second half but were strong and composed and able to fire some super balls forward. Elena kept her width well which stretched the Mowden midfield, giving Freyja and Tiggy that much more space and time on the ball. All three girls linked superbly, their passing and movement being of particular note. Iona, as centre forward had a good second half and although she didn’t score, was a constant menace to the Mowden defence. This all culminated in three more goals in quick succession, Tiggy and Freya hitting the target again. Emma in goal, was by no means unemployed. She was called upon quite regularly but was alert, quick and made some brilliant saves.
I was thrilled with the game and so proud of the girls. Some quite intense individual battles on the pitch demanded level heads and total commitment, which the girls displayed in bucket loads. By the close, we were all soaked but spirits were high as we wound our way north over the Rede and along the relentlessly undulating tarmac!
Next week we welcome Riley to Tweedbank for a 1415 start.
Mr P

Marnie Harvey, 02/12/2019

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.