U11B Rugby v Clifton Hall U10's

Wednesday 20th March 

       Our U11 B’s travelled to Edinburgh on Wednesday afternoon to play Clifton Hall U10’s in this 6 a side 20 minute match. Although the pitch was a little soft, conditions were generally good for trying to play handling rugby.

       During the opening couple of minutes both teams looked eager to get their hands on the ball and test out defences. We had our fair share of possession and carried a threat with Robert L, Archie D and Finlay B prominent as they stepped and drove forward. However, the home tackling was secure which prevented us from crossing the try line. Unfortunately, the same couldn’t be said of us as our tackling let us down during this period and we leaked 3 tries.

      With ball in hand we worked hard to break the home defence as we laid siege to their try line. But it remained firm as Robert L, Archie D and Finlay B came close. We then conceded a penalty, and from the tap our hosts moved the ball wide and ran the length to score. Towards the end of the half our tackling as a team did improve with Finlay B leading the way, ably supported by Archie D and Robert L. Clifton ended the half though with a further try to make 0-5.
     The 2nd half started with us conceding a try in the first minute following a penalty against us. Not the start we had planned, and at this stage we had to turn matters around quickly before we took a proper hammering. And indeed we did turn it round, led with determination by Finlay B who tackled and tackled (as he did throughout the whole match). He made another tackle, jackled the ball and drove forward to score our opening try. We held things together as others followed Finlay’s lead. Jack H looked to have scored, but had got pushed out at the corner. Clifton themselves were still pushing hard to add to their tally, but a good Rory C tackle prevented them from doing so. Then just as we had looked to have cleared our lines from a deep Robert L kick, Clifton ran it back at us and scored.

       Despite this we continued to work well and try to cut the lead. Archie D had a good run as he stepped a couple of defenders and passed it on to Rory C who took it on. He in turn fed the ever supporting Finlay B and gave the scoring pass to Robert L who touched down. We still had our share of defending to do but continued to do it better. Torquil H got a good hand on a Clifton jersey to stop any Clifton progress and we turned ball over at the ensuing ruck. However, we kicked instead of keeping ball in hand and Clifton again ran it back at us and crossed our line for the final try of the match.

   Final score 2-8, but a much better performance in the 2nd half as it was 2 tries each after Clifton scored in the first minute of the latter half. Winter season now concluded, we look forward to next term and the start of the cricket season which we hope is a repeat of last year’s weather!

Mr A Rutherford

Marnie Harvey, 23/03/2019

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.