St. Mary's U11B Football V Fettes U11B

Wednesday 13th March

We travelled to Fettes on Wednesday afternoon for this final football fixture and enjoyed the weather break which allowed us to play in the sunshine, albeit with a stiff breeze.

     In the early stages, both teams tried to find their feet which made for a fairly even match, but it was Fettes who grew into the game the quicker. They started to move the ball around better and had us on the chase more, but we still had decent possession ourselves as we hassled and tackled well to get the ball back. Neither goal was really threatened with no keeper really called into action. However midway through the half, it was Fettes who took the lead with a good shot from just inside the box.

     However, St. Marys continued to tackle well and had the occasional foray ourselves. Then another shot from the edge of the box from Fettes didn’t look too dangerous, but the swirling wind had a say and the ball ended up in the net to make it 0-2. We then had a couple of good scoring opportunities but unfortunately, we just couldn’t convert them, something that has plagued us all term but at least we were making chances.
The second half saw our hosts have the early pressure, but nothing came of it as again we got our foot in and prevented any shot at goal. We then managed to get up-field deep into home territory, but we lost the ball and Fettes broke quickly. We couldn’t get back in time as Fettes smartly made it 0-3. Fettes were starting to get on top now and kept their shape well just as we started to lose ours as we became more anxious to get hold of possession to try and close their lead. But a lovely sweeping move by us saw us have our best moment in the match, but our net-bound shot produced the best save of the match to thwart us. Fettes then made it 4 as a misplaced pass across our goal was eagerly pounced upon by them. However, what was pleasing was that we continued to work hard and not let up. We had some good breaks which again produced another couple of good saves, and it has to be said included one glaring miss by us!
 Nevertheless, we continued to get forward as best as we could to try at least to score a goal or two before time up. We had some territory but without producing a clear scoring chance. Fettes then got up the pitch and forced a corner, and from the cross, we turned it into our own goal. Just on time, as we threw numbers forward, Fettes caught us out at the back and made it 0-6 to end the match.
 Well done though to our boys as they continued to work and try their best throughout the whole match. Fettes on the day proved to be the better finishers which was the biggest difference between the teams. Next week back to rugby for our final match of the season.

Mr A Rutherford

Marnie Harvey, 18/03/2019

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.