U13 Rugby v Earlston High School 

There was some doubt whether we would get a fixture this week due to the poor conditions. Our front field was out of action due to standing water but in an effort to get a fixture we moved to the back pitches. The back pitch was in great condition and the game went ahead. 

Our lads had a couple of excellent training sessions in the lead up to the fixture and were raring to go. The opening exchanges saw us defending for several minutes. We showed great commitment and Earlston were getting nowhere. We turned the ball over and began to exert pressure on the Earlston defence. Earlston managed to turn the ball over in contact and ship it out wide to run in a long distance try showing great speed and agility. We continued to dominate possession and gained some good momentum from our forward runners like Jake and Archie M. Unfortunately, a few loose passes led us to lose the ball in the middle of the pitch and Earlston’s strike runners punished us again scoring a good try.

rugby st marys v earlston 6th

We were faced with being 14-0 down before the half and the boys having to dig in to ensure they got something out of the game. Still we dominated possession and managed to keep hold of the ball for long periods of time in the opposition half. Some heroic work at the breakdown by Geordie and Caelan meant Earlston couldn’t get near our ball and after multiple phases Thomas crashed over. John couldn’t convert but we were back in the game. From the kick off we defended as a unit and didn’t give them a chance to get the ball out to their wide-men. There were some fierce tackles being put in by Ollie E, Ted and George. In the last few seconds of the first half we were camped on the opposition 22 and after some excellent control from Callum at the base Thomas darted in for a second St Mary’s try.

Half time 14-12.

The message was positive at half time and the lads knew what they had to do get the lead in the match.

rugby st marys v earlston 6th

The second half continued in the same way and we stuck together as a unit putting in some mighty tackles and showed great bravery at ruck time. Unfortunately some missed tackles allowed a third Earlston try and the score went to 21-12. At this point the boys showed great spirit and we not disheartened getting themselves right back into the game. Some silky passing from Ollie E. and Ed saw John left with a 1v1 which he dully converted with a try not far from the left touchline. He added to his efforts with a fine conversion. 21-19. With only a few minutes left in the match the lads knew they had to empty their tanks if they were going to get the victory. Mac, who had carried the ball well throughout the game, made a few incisions before some lovely footwork from Ed allowed us to break down the right wing. As it was all game, our ball retention was outstanding and after a couple more phases Mac crashed over to give us the lead, 24-21. The lads held on for the remaining minutes showing composure in defence and winning a penalty. Callum hit a fabulous spiral to get us out of trouble and once time was up Thomas kicked the ball out of play to give St Mary’s the victory.
Score: St Mary’s  24 – Earlston 21
Man of the Match: George


Angus Inwood, 08/03/2019

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.