U11B Football vs Riley House

Wednesday, January 16th

Our 11 B’s welcomed Riley for our first football match of the season. Riley travelled with 6 boys, so in each half 2 of our boys made up their team so that an 8 a side B match could go ahead.

Our visitors kicked off, but for the initial minutes, it was St. Marys who looked the brighter. We kept possession better and moved the ball on well to set up a couple of scoring opportunities, but we couldn’t take them. Then, after 8 minutes, Riley opened the scoring with their first real chance with a smartly taken free kick after our keeper Hector C handled outside the box.

St Marys continued to look the better of the 2 sides as we passed the ball about quite well with Rory C, Tom D and Isaac B to the fore. We had the better of territory, and in defence we tackled well with Isaac B, Isaac S and Christian G all looking to get the foot in and disrupt Riley play. St Marys were getting in crosses into the box with Tom D and Isaac B providing the bulk of them with their strong contact on the ball. But alas the ball either wouldn’t fall for us, or their keeper made a good save. We also broke well and had several one on ones with their keeper, with Archie D and Blair A  involved, but on each occasion we just couldn’t convert one. Then, right on halftime, we managed to put one away after a great sweeping move. Isaac B kicked in strongly from the touchline to Tom D who then crossed first time and found Archie D in the box who finished with aplomb. 1-1 halftime.

The 2nd half of this shortened match due to traffic delays got under way. Riley looked more of a threat now, and indeed scored an early goal to put them back in front. At this time Riley enjoyed their best spell of the match as Fergus Y in goal for the 2nd half was more in the action than Hector C had been and made a couple of good saves. However, St Marys soon got back into the swing of things, but continued the theme of making good chances to score but failing to take any of them. We began to get a little frustrated at ourselves, though we continued to create good moments. Even at one point the Riley keeper made a double save, the 2nd one whilst lying on the ground with his goal gaping and the shot hit him on the head! It just wasn’t to be. Time ran out after our final chance of the match when Torquil H “guesting “for Riley made a good tackle to prevent us scoring.

Thank you to Riley for making the long trip down to play for us. Perhaps, some more shooting practice for us at games time!
Next week, Ardvreck at home.

Mr A Rutherford

Marnie Harvey, 21/01/2019

Close This site uses cookies. If you continue to use the site you agree to this. For more details please see our cookies policy.